Geriljalederen Nerdah Mya, sønn av den legendariske karenlederen Bo Mya, har forlatt kampsonen i Karenstaten øst i Burma for å fortelle utenverdenen hva som egentlig skjer i grenseområdene mot Thailand.
I 61 år har karenerne kjempet for en fri, demokratisk stat innenfor en føderasjon av frie stater i Burma, den lengstvarende frihetskamp i moderne tid!
I desember 1994 skjedde det fatale bruddet mellom Democratic Kayin Buddhist Organization og Karen National Union. Det buddhistiske lederskapet ønsket forhandlinger med militærjuntaen , mens det kristne lederskapet under Bo Mya søkte militær konfrontasjon. Resultatet ble katastrofalt: Hovedstaden Manerplaw ble inntatt av juntaens soldater, med de dramatiske konsekvenser dette fikk for befolkningen.
* Your father became a legend, fighting his whole adult life for a free Karen State. You`ve got bad conscience, studying in California!
* Yes, that`s correct. He said to me; “Remember, I have ordered my men to face their death! Therefore I cannot leave them alone!”
* And you broke away and joined The Karen Liberation Army?
* I did! I couldn`t betray my father and our ancestors.
* Do you regret?
* No, not at all! I have to stay by my people in this struggle for real freedom. We`ll never surrender!
* What do you think about the election in Burma later on this year?
* I fear the worst, but I hope for the best!
* Do you think that the election will proceed correctly, with no observers from abroad to control that the election is carried out in the right way?
* Wait and see! The military junta surely will not sweep themselves off their feet! They already have 25% of the seats in the Parliament, and no changes of the Constitution can be done. It all probably remains as before!
* What is your advice to the Karens, to vote or not?
* My advice is clear; “Don`t vote! Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the members of her party, National League for Democracy, are saying the same; “Don`t vote!”
* But then the members of the SPDC obtain what they want, to rule as before!
* I trust in the Burmese people! They will defy to be treated like sheep any longer!